You may have seen the news, offered by email today to the friends of the Great Lakes Commonwealth of Letters: After five years at their gorgeous location at the corner of Wealthy and Eastern, the building is in the process of being sold and GLCL will vacate the space by the end of this month.
As a sign of partnership with GLCL — a literary non-profit advancing, promoting and celebrating the literary arts in our community — we’re offering our office space for drop-in writing and editing time.
Here’s what you need to know:
- We don’t hold standard office hours. Check our Events calendar for open times. In general, open hours are colored in orange. Click the calendar item to see full details. We sometimes make late-breaking changes to our schedule, so check the calendar before you plan to arrive. Events colored in purple represent private events that are not open to the public. To verify hours during a scheduled time block, call us at 888-809-1686.
- There’s no need to RSVP for open hours. And no fee, either. We offer water (hot and cold), coffee and assorted teas available, as well as some snacks, for free (or a voluntary donation to offset costs). A microwave and refrigerator can help you with lunch, too.
- We also offer Wi-Fi and, in special cases, access to an (old) Mac that has a full copy of Adobe Creative Suite 5.5, for special projects.
- Our office is located at the intersection of 32nd and Kalamazoo, just south of the Meijer store at 28th and Kalamazoo. We’re immediately adjacent to a stop for The Rapid’s route No. 2. The office building offers free on-site parking.
- To access our suite, you’ll need to traverse a half-flight of stairs, so people with limited mobility may find it difficult to visit us.
The main room of our suite can comfortably accommodate eight at the tables, and more if we do a bit of rearranging, so if you’d like to host a small event (a writers’ group, an intimate poetry reading, or something similar) please let us know by using our Contact Us form.